Just my musings about life, quilting, my family and my dog.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What I'm listening to

Judy, over at Patchwork Times, has started a new weekly thing asking us to write about what we're reading.  Well, while I rarely read a physical book, I am almost never without a novel on my iPod.  I get so much "reading" done this way and I don't have to choose between quilting and reading - I can do BOTH at the same time!!  That's very much of a win-win in my book (Pun intended!).

The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband


That was a long intro into what I'm listening to.  I just finished reading David Finch's "The Journal of Best Practices."  A true memoir of his struggle with becoming a better husband.  I found this book to be both enlightening and disheartening.  The book begins on the day that Finch's wife diagnoses him with Asperger's syndrome.  He then sets about to become a better husband because his disorder means he has very little - if any- empathy for others.  He described the things he would do and not do, he would listen to his wife give him feedback and then he determined to do what she asked of him.

The heartening part is that he actually made huge strides in becoming a better husband.  The disheartening part is that he described a lot of behaviors that my husband does and I think most men do and it has nothing to do with their being on the Asperger's spectrum.  SIGH.

What are you reading?

Chris

1 comment:

  1. I have never thought to put an audio book on my ipod! what a good idea! I am a reader and finally made the jump to books on my ipad. I just finished Great Expectations. Had never read it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Waiting for Life of Pi to become available through my library.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, So glad you stopped by. Please leave me a comment, I love to hear from you but, due to spam, I am no longer able to allow anonymous comments. Sorry.